The tunnel opened in 1888 by the Barry Railway Company. It closed in 1930. The north end (shown in photos below) is located in the car park of Dewi Sant hospital on the Graig hill. The south portal is in the grounds of the Univerity of Glamorgan.
In the photo below the white bridge in the middle distance carried the Barry Railway north toward Trehafod